Four things that are important keep in mind
- Composing an extensive research paper is an ongoing process, and that means you often need certainly to backtrack. It entails time and patience administration.
- Begin your quest early
- Ask for assistance from the Research Help desk and also the scholar Learning Commons
- There’s no such thing as being a stupid question!
Comprehend the project
- Determine the goals and range
- Seek out keywords that describe primary tasks when it comes to assignment
Choose an interest that motivates you
- Educate yourself … find something brand new. Originality does count!
- Protect yourself … justify a situation
- Establish yourself … expand your expertise
Ask an extensive research concern
- A research that is sound (why? exactly just exactly how? whenever? Let’s say?) will allow you to work toward a thesis statement that is solid
- Avoid too narrow a concern, or perhaps you may not find research that is many
Focus/refine your topic
- Break the task into chunks of work (Hint: schedule those chunks to your calendar)
- Review course notes/assigned readings
- Use the Library databases to locate journal that is relevant along with other resources
- For the most useful database for the topic, ask a librarian or look at research guides for the specialized niche.
Identify sources that are appropriate
- Work through the basic into the specific, e.g. find background information first
- For background information – use encyclopaedias, lecture records websites that write papers, textbooks
- The catalogue for books – search
- For articles – search databases suitable for your topic
- For a definition – check a dictionary
- Critically assess everything you are finding
Begin considering a thesis declaration
- A thesis expresses your primary position and forecasts exactly what your paper will discuss
- A solid thesis is debatable, requiring supporting evidence ( ag e.g. your quest)
- You don’t need certainly to finalize your thesis unless you’ve collected your materials and written a minumum of one draft!
Use the Catalogue to find …
- Publications ( ag e.g. The Hours, by Michael Cunningham) | Movies & Music | Reports
- Journals and articles that are journal
Tip: In the event that SFU collection doesn’t have actually just what you’re in search of, it is possible to request it online from another library.
Evaluate what you’ve got discovered
- Discovered sources that are too many? You might want to slim your topic
- Discovered sources that are too few? Broaden your topic or select other appropriate key words
- Select scholarly journals over popular publications
- Are your sources appropriate? Biased? Too old?
- May be the information you entirely on Google from the dependable supply?
Sound right of one’s research sources
- Utilize key phrases to allow you to arrange your materials logically
- Refine your thesis statement centered on research materials
- Create a” that is“working to mirror your evidence and purchase of presentation
- Draft your paper according to this plan of action
Revise your draft
- Search for coherence …the overall “connectedness” of ideas; paragraph unity
- Look for cohesion … logical connections between sentences
- Look at your design … will be your tone right for your market? is the wording clear and concise? Have you been properly making use of terms and ideas in your control?
- Look for typical mistakes. Hint: print out your draft and get through it line by line, and/or see clearly aloud.
Cite your sources
- Avoid plagiarism: simply take the self-directed guide
- Utilize one of several standard citation designs: APA, MLA or Chicago; consult with your trainer if you’re unsure which to use. The Library has guides for every single.
- Record your entire citations while you go. You’ll be glad you did once the right time comes to publish a bibliography!
In the event that you have stuck . . .
- Ask a librarian in the desk, by phone, email, or real time talk.
- Take a look at Library Research Skills guide
If you’d like help along with your writing procedure . . .
- Go to the Student Learning Commons for resources, recommendations, and private help from a Peer Educator
- Subscribe to a free of charge workshop
See additionally: The Assignment Calculator, an occasion management device to assist you break up your composing projects into a group of actions.